The Distance Between Us

Greetings, dear friends! Behind the scenes, I have been working furiously on the last of the memoir revisions. And they are done! More on this shortly. Meanwhile, it’s time again for Memoir Across The Pond with Charli Mills at Carrot Ranch. A personal reflection on 9/11, twenty years on. Keep safe, keep well, dear ones. Sherri ❤

Carrot Ranch Literary Community

Twenty years ago this Friday, I went out for a meal to celebrate my birthday with my family. My eighteen year old had graduated from high school that spring and was looking forward to starting college. My two other children had just started their new school year in 4th and 7th Grade.

We enjoyed a light-hearted and happy evening together.

The next morning the phone rang early. My default was oh no. A thud of dread. When you live in California and your relatives are in England, that ring at that hour will do that.

It was my mother-in-law calling from Los Angeles, panic high her voice.

‘Have you heard the news?’

‘No…’

‘Put CNN on, a plane’s crashed into the World Trade Centre.’

A what?Where? I’m not a morning person. Her words jumbled around my foggy brain.

It was a school morning, but with time…

View original post 698 more words

About Sherri Matthews

Sherri's work is published in magazines, anthologies, her Summerhouse blog, and memoir column at Carrot Ranch, an online literary community. As a young mum of three, she emigrated from the UK to California and stayed for twenty years. Today she lives in England's West Country with her family and two beautiful black kitties. A keen walker and photographer, she is working hard on her memoir. Her 2021 entry to Fish Publishing Short Memoir Prize was shortlisted and also received a special mention at Spread the Word Life Writing Prize.
This entry was posted in Memoir Across the Pond Column and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The Distance Between Us

1. MikeM says:

Profound piece.

Liked by 1 person

2. Congratulations on finishing up revisions, Sherri! 🎉🎉🎉 Will check out the post.

Liked by 1 person

3. Prior... says:

hello my awesome friend!
    so nice to see your post and congrats on the revisions
    – and wishing you a great week ahead – sending hugs 🙏☀️💛💛💛💛

Liked by 1 person

4. Mabel Kwong says:

It is so lovely to see you again Sherri, and I am glad that I can pop by this time. Congratulations on the memoir. Sounds like you worked hard and the finish line is near. All the best with it and it will be worth it 😊 I read your post over at Carrot Ranch. Very thoughtful reflection on how our lives can change in an instant and we learn to be thankful for what and who we have in our lives. Hope you are doing well over there, and keep shining in your summer house 💛

Liked by 2 people

• HI Mabel, how lovely to hear from you! I have been long absent from blogging, thank you for your lovely encouragement as always and for reading over at Carrot Ranch. Yes it is hard to believe 20 years since then…but hard lessons, even now. I look forward to reconnecting here very soon with a memoir update, and meanwhile, I hope you are keeping safe and well and happy in your endeavours 🙂 ❤

5. purpleslob says:

I’ll never forget where I was; break room at work, eating lunch. No one else finished their lunch either. It was terrifying, and world shattering.

Liked by 1 person

6. Genny Nau says:

Happy Birthday Sherri! Hope your day was special! Love and miss you! Hugs, Genny

Liked by 1 person

7. dgkaye says:

Thrilled to hear about your memoir coming closer to publishing Sher! Thanks for this profound share ❤

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you so much, dear Deb! It’s been a long, dark road for a long, long time. As you know! I will be sharing more about it all at the Summerhouse soon. Much to process and gather in the meantime…in life as well as in writing! Thank you so much for sharing my post, Deb. A memory close to us all. Love and hugs to you, Deb ❤

Liked by 1 person

Lovely to chat...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s