Sunday Lunch Invitation – Sherri Matthews and Michelle Clements James.

A guest post in which I share the story of ‘Crazy Grandma’ and the turkey that never was; a summer story just in time for Thanksgiving…thank you so much Sally Cronin for the invitation!

Smorgasbord - Variety is the spice of life

sunday lunch logo

Today it is all girls together for the Sunday Lunch although my husband is hovering in the background keen to enjoy the food that our guests have brought with them.. Their own guests sound both interesting and wonderfully colourful and I am going to enjoy getting to know them a little better. Without further ado; time to meet Sherri Matthews and her mother-in-law Olivia and Michelle Clements James and her maternal grandmother Anna Davis Rabe.

Since it is Thanksgiving in the United States this coming week I have cooked a turkey which has been roasting away since very early this morning. Sherri’s mother-in-law Olivia has provided the stuffing which is infusing the bird with delicious flavour and there are roasted squash, potatoes, green beans and carrots with thick gravy to accompany it.

A little bit about Sherri first.

Sherri

By the time we get into our 50s and 60s most of…

View original post 2,172 more words

About Sherri Matthews

Sherri has been writing full time since 2011. Currently working on her memoir, 'Stranger in a White Dress', she has been published in a variety of national magazines, websites and three anthologies. Sherri raised her three, now adult children, in California for twenty years and today, lives in England’s West Country with her hubby, Aspie youngest, two cats, a grumpy bunny and a family of Chinese Button Quails. She keeps out of mischief blogging, gardening, walking by the sea and snapping endless photographs. Her garden robin muse vists regularly.
This entry was posted in Family Life, Family Traditions, Guest Blogs, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Sunday Lunch Invitation – Sherri Matthews and Michelle Clements James.

1. dgkaye says:

This was such a great lunch Sherri. I enjoyed learning more about my friends here, and the yummy recipes. xo ❀

Liked by 1 person

2. Hey, I guess my lunch invitation was lost in the mail. 😦 I enjoyed meeting Olivia, Sherri. She sounds like she was a great woman.

• Sherri says:

Jill, you always have an invitation, night or day, any time πŸ™‚ I loved sharing this story about Olivia and I’m so glad you enjoyed meeting her. I miss her very much (she died four years after I moved back to the UK when she was only seventy) but she is never forgotten. I’m so grateful for all the years my children spent time with her and Grandpa when we lived in California. Wonderful memories πŸ™‚ ❀

Liked by 1 person

3. What a wonderful mother-in-law to have Sherri. I loved reading a little more about your life and the people in it!

4. Luanne says:

Sherri, I loved reading this story! I’m so glad you had a wonderful MIL. You know I had one, and it is really a great feeling. Gonna be thinking about this story on Thursday because hubby drops everything he touches lately and will probably try to pick up our meal at some point.

• Sherri says:

Oh I’m so glad you enjoyed it Luanne, thank you so much! A wonderful MIL is a great gift, one we were both blessed with for sure. I am so grateful for all those years we had together, so much fun and laughter and silliness πŸ™‚ Haha…oh dear, I do hope hubby doesn’t do a ‘Crazy Grandma’ πŸ˜› Will be thinking of you… Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Luanne! xoxo

5. Hi Sherri,

That was a wonderful guest post indeed, and so good to know that you had a MIL that one could speak of πŸ™‚

Thanks for sharing it all with us. Have a nice week ahead πŸ™‚

• Sherri says:

Hi Harleena! Aww…thank you so much! Yes, we hear so much that is negative about MILs that I was glad to share a story from the othe side of the coin πŸ™‚ I’m so glad you enjoyed it. And the same to you for a good week ahead too (Happy Thanksgiving to you!) No Thanksgiving for me this year since we moved back to the UK but will be celebrating my middle son’s birthday at the weekend πŸ™‚

6. So great to see you featured on Sally’s blog. I enjoyed the stories about Olivia. Her turkey fiasco reminded me of when my mom and dad were invited for lunch with Hubby’s parents. His mom made a roast chicken, but forgot to to take out the giblets first, which were of course in a plastic bag. We all had a laugh over it, and my mom who was a very timid cook and imagined that her counterpart was probably so much more experienced at entertaining, was able to relax in the knowledge that my future MiL wasn’t perfect. πŸ˜€

7. prior2001 says:

Just what I needed this Monday – I am going to come back shortly with a cup of tea and to read…. πŸ’œβ™₯️

Liked by 1 person

8. Sherri that is a precious story and I love how it has stayed with you over the years. My mum often says we forget all the bad stuff and the laughs stay with us forever and she had nine children. Made me smile.

• Sherri says:

So glad you enjoyed the story about my lovely MiL, thanks so much Kath for taking the time to read it. Haha…I love what your mum says…with nine children, I’m sure it wasn’t all easy, but how wonderful to remember all the laughs, which do indeed stay with us forever πŸ™‚ ❀

9. prior2001 says:

Well finally made it to soak up that post – it was really well done by smorgasbord! πŸ‘
    And the pillows (breasts) still has me cracking up – and the way you shared how to make the stuffing – well just shows the swift writer you are – I might not ever make it, but how could someone wrote a recipe with such flow-ha! Anyhow – have a great day and I am now following the smorgasbord too!

10. Norah says:

Sherri, This is delightful, and lovely to see you and my friend Michelle together with your very special people. I love the story of your mother-in-law Olivia. She sounds like a wonderfully warm and loving person, just the sort you need in a mother-in-law. I’m looking forward to hearing more about her in your memoir. πŸ™‚

• Sherri says:

Oh thank you so much Norah, I’m thrilled you enjoyed the feast over at Sally’s…I loved meeting Michelle too, and her wonderful ‘Gramma’ πŸ™‚ It’s my pleasure to introduce you to Olivia…I miss her, we used to laugh a lot and we had some crazy times…but it’s great to share the stories!

Liked by 1 person

11. I was right, I did read this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and left a comment there. These days, my mind is such a sieve that I had to double check. I also got hooked on her post. And then another from her post. It always going down the rabbit hole. Some days I never find my way out, πŸ™‚ Have a lovely week.

• Sherri says:

Those rabbit holes take us far and wide! Thanks Marlene, I hope for you too…mine hasn’t gone too well with a car accident yesterday, but I’m okay. Just my new car smashed 😦 At least no injuries…just more ‘stuff’ to take care of before Christmas…but I won’t complain… hugs to you.

Lovely to chat...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s